Have you ever missed breakfast because you did not have the time or overslept? Overnight oats are a great healthy and easy choice for early mornings. Overnight oats are just rolled or old fashioned oats soaked overnight that absorb the liquid you put them in. Overnight oats can be enjoyed hot or cold and are a great Vegan breakfast option.
I am sharing a simple recipe that you can make at the beginning or mid-week if needed and can be stored in the refrigerator up to 5 days. The best thing is that it is customizable to your favorite flavors and can give you a variety to look forward to every morning! You can even make this Gluten-free by using certified gluten-free oats.
Extra bonus points: very nutritious since it is full of protein and fiber that will give you the energy and fuel you need to start your day on a great note!
- 1/3 to 1/2 Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of liquid of choice can from dairy milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, almond milk or water that can be used but I have been told to be not as flavorful
- Nut or seed butter such as almond, cashew or sunflower seed butter that will add a nutty flavor and creaminess element
Try one or all of the overnight oats varieties below by adding the ingredients below to the base recipe of oats, milk and seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of the Sweetener of choice
- 1 teaspoon of Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup of Strawberries (Don’t forget extra to top off)
- 2 teaspoons of the Sweetener of choice
- 1/2 cup of Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 teaspoons of Ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of raw pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of Mashed bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon, 1/8 teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Walnuts for topping
- 1/2 of banana sliced for topping
Peanut Butter & Jelly
- 1/2 tablespoon of the Sweetener of choice like maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 1 table spoon of Favorite Jam
- Freeze dried strawberries
- Chopped peanuts
Create Your Own
- 1/2 cup of the Fruit of choice
- 2 teaspoons of the sweeteners such as honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons of Nut or seed butter such as almond, cashew or sunflower seed butter that will add a nutty flavor and creaminess element
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup of Combined milk and Greek yogurt for creamy oats (optional) *Note: Adding this will make the recipe non-vegan
- In a Mason jar or container, combine old fashioned oats, nut butter and chia seeds (optional) with liquid of choice. You may substitute water for the milk; however it will not be as flavorful.
- Stir the mixture, and then top off with the desired fruit. If you would like to have your fruit on top of oats or the fruit does not store well, wait to place the fruit until you are ready to serve.
- Place a lid over the jar and refrigerate overnight for at least five hours or up to 5 days. Ready to eat straight from the refrigerator in the morning. You may heat it in the microwave if you prefer your oats warm.
Time: 5 minutes for prep and 5 hours in the refrigerator
Note how the food will store in the refrigerator and might need to add topping before serving.
- Gluten-free option: Use certified gluten-free oats.
- Vegan option
- Can enjoy hot or cold
- Cold: Enjoy straight from the refrigerator.
- Hot: Can be heated in the microwave or over the stove and stir frequently when warming up.